This is to sort of follow up on the last post, as since then a couple of developments have happened. For one, I had applied for a position at my parish church that I am more than qualified for, but was curtly dismissed by the associate pastor with a one-sentence response. I can accept that some things may not be God's will at that particular time, but to just be so curt and dismissive was, well, a bit disconcerting. So, with that and also a bit of disagreement with the parish priest's letter in the bulletin this past Sunday, I wrote a very heated email to him about all this. As I was writing it, I began to reflect on the term "Catholic" and what that really means. The conclusion I came to is something I have held for a while, but perhaps it is time to enunciate it.
The literal meaning of the word "catholic" is simply universal - in that context, it means a church meant for all people regardless of background. This has made the Church multicultural, and Christianity relates to anyone in any society because of the fact that Christ died for all, and the only thing one has to do is accept that gift from him. The basis of the catholic dimension of our faith then is John 3:16. However, it also relates to Romans 12:4-5, as well as I Corinthians 12:12-27. The universality of the Church incorporates the diversity of its members, and that is why Acts 2 was in essence a reversal of what happened in Genesis 11 with the Tower of Babel. Again, I also refer back to the Vincentian Canon regarding what the Catholic faith actually is - that which is held by everyone, at all times and everywhere. The implication then is that one hierarch, bishop, or prelate cannot monopolize the term, or say who is and who isn't Catholic without first weighing the evidence of faith, doctrine, and other things. Therefore, that being said, I hold to the conviction that the Roman Catholic Church is not the entire Church, and I also hold a view that is more in line with the Christian East regarding the Pope's role - the Pope is the Bishop of Rome, and while his position has a level of primacy, it doesn't make him supreme over the rest of the Church. In looking at how the early Church was structured, no bishop had supreme authority over others, as the idea was collegiality. All bishops, therefore, possess Apostolic authority, and when one started being elevated over the others for political reasons, that led to problems that we see today. So, when the bishop sitting inside the Vatican declares that he is supreme over all Christians, he is not exercising his appropriate office. And, if he happens to not be of good will, is heretical, or just flat-out wrong whether out of ignorance and intention, then he is not to be heeded. As mentioned yesterday, the one thing that always takes precedence over any bishop - including the Pope - is Magisterial teaching. Where the Pope lines up with Scripture and Magisterial teaching, he is to be accepted. Where he does not, he needs to be rejected. The criteria is quite simple really. So, when Leo excommunicated the SSPX over what was essentially nothing, he was wrong - he was also inconsistent in that there are far worse people than the SSPX who wear cassocks and vestments, yet they are allowed to run rampant. This inconsistency needs to be called out for the nonsense it is, and that is what my contention was.
That being said, I believe that other Christians can be rightly called Catholic who do not have full communion with the Vatican. I mentioned the Orthodox, but there are also conservative Old Catholics, the SSPX, many sedevacantists, the Continuing Anglicans, the Polish National Catholic Church, the old CAC I have talked about a lot (also called Irvingites) and a group of Lutherans who have Catholic convictions that exist in their own communion as well. Many of those groups hold probably a more authentic Catholic faith than some who call themselves Roman Catholic, and I recognize that for what it is. Again, the conclusion is simple - you don't have to be Roman, or in communion with the Vatican, to be Catholic! Hot take I know, but deal with it.
Does this mean that Roman Catholics are not Catholic? No, that is not the point at all. There are many godly Roman Catholic people, as well as dedicated clergy, who definitely can be called truly Catholic, and they are part of that universal faith. The point is they are not the only ones - God has a remnant in many places, and that remnant is going to surprise some people one day at who they truly are. The berobed bureaucrats in the Vatican and in many diocesan chanceries may not be among those, as it has been correctly noted (I think it was a quote attributed to St. Chrysostom, but I think Wesley said it - I will double-check that) the road to hell is paved with the skulls of apostate bishops. Looking at it from that perspective, imagine the souls who were damned by self-serving clerics as they crunch the skulls of said clerics under their tortured feet as they are marched to their eternal damnation. That should be a sobering thought to every Catholic priest and bishop today, because it is a warning regardless of whether the original quote was accurately stated or not. People are watching, people are listening, and it should give pause for reflection. Considering the sex scandals in Baltimore alone the past 20 years, and how many churches were shuttered because of those (one down the street here, what used to be St. Michael's, is now a brewery, and a couple of blocks away another parish, St. Ann's, has just closed). The Archdiocese actually went Chapter 11 over that, and at that point the Archbishop and others should have had a check in their spirit that reminded them that close self-examination was necessary - I don't see that in all honesty. And, even the current Pope has a blemish on his own legacy for aiding and abetting abusive clerics and not sufficiently addressing their indiscretions. This series of ongoing scandals indicates that perhaps that Great Schism that many saints and visionaries talked about may be on the cusp of happening. If it is, I will cast my lots with the side of orthodoxy. The self-destructive actions of some apostate, heretical, and scandal-ridden clergy will not be tethered to me, sorry. That is my gauntlet making a loud thud as it hits the ground.
I am not saying this to be self-righteous at all, as God knows I am the least perfect of any soul. However I am about consistency, and for good people of faith to be excommunicated and denied being Catholic while wicked people get a carte-blanche to do anything they want, it is a scandal of high proportions and it has to do with the Vatican trying to trademark the name "Catholic" as if it exclusively belonged to them. Hence, my issue. I think I will conclude these remarks there, as all that is said from my point of view has been said, and let those to whom it applies chew on it a while.
Aside from that, I wanted to mention that seven books are now published, and below are what they look like:

No comments:
Post a Comment
No solicitations will be tolerated and will be deleted
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.